Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Tim Holtz Watch

I had a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Pocket Watch in my stash, unopened for the last ….well….forever.  I really didn't know what to do with it.  Then Tim posted this picture and a little video how-to about the watches.  I couldn't get the idea out of my mind. I had the one watch but I needed more- I usually make something for my mom, grandma and sister for the holiday.  I ran to Michaels and they have 2 left.  Unfortunately, I don't have any local scrapbook stores and my local stamping store is hit or miss for non-stamping items like this.  The watch can be found at Michael's or online.  I found them at Two Peas in a Bucket for $7.99.
I made the first tag using Tim's Idea-ology Holiday Paper Stash.  I traced the back of the pocket watch on to the image I wanted.  I added coarse glitter (like, Duh!) to Santa's beard and hair and a small amount of fine glitter to his hate.  I had some tiny brass numbers in my stash that I got from an Etsy seller- can't remember which one.  I added some  glitter to them as well because I didn't like how flat and boring they looked.  
The second watch I made for my 96 year-old grandmother.  She loves using pins and earrings to jazz up her wardrobe.  The background of this watch is part of the word "Merry" as in Christmas from Rhonna Farrar's Christmas Junque Printable Background Kit available here.   Actually, I used a piece of scrap paper from my Christmas cards.  I am so in love with this paper and I hope she makes another version that isn't holiday specific.  The tone-on-tone... the awesome font…. it is just BEAUTIFUL.  Anyway, I embellished that gorgeous paper with the word "joy" cut from an old dictionary (topped with a little glitter), the same "2" and "5" from my tiny brass number stash, a snowflake button with the shank removed and a tiny piece of a snowflake from the branch I used in the package adornments.  Because I thought it needed more- I added a tiny jingle bell and a small Swarovski crystal hanging from a flat-back pearl.  I think it looks really elegant and perfect for my grandma.

The final watch I made for my mom using more of Tim's holiday stash paper.  First, I used a piece of a vintage French text...um…dictionary..no, um… story… some kind of book... I have no idea what type of book it is because I don't read French.  Truthfully, I think it is simply a book of fiction.  After the background was in place, I grabbed Tim's paper and this time I decided to cut out the little pieces to resemble boxes.  Tim uses actual vintage items to inspire his papers so it is fitting to cut them into their individual parts and use them as they were originally, no I cna't use them as a box but I  can make them look LIKE a box.  To keep it all intersting, I used a piece of cardboard to raise the lower "shiny brite" box up off the background.  I used a small amount of glitter on the bigger shiny brite ornament box and the top box got hit with Glossy Accents.  Somehow I lost the little wire that goes in the top of this watch.  When I find it I will replace it.  

I am addicted to these little watches now that I have some ideas on how to fill them.  The watches can be hung from a cord or chain to become a necklace (or even an ornament) or can be made into a broach.  I made all three of these into broaches per the request of the recipients. Using E6000 glue I simply glued the pin backs right to the back.  Really an easy project.

For more fun Tim Holtz inspired jewelry at Studio L3 blog.  To see all things Tim visit his blog.

Laters….

4 comments:

  1. Aw, how fun! That is so sweet of you to make one for your grandmother - she's gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully done! I have one of these pocket watches in my stash and you've inspired me to finally take it out and use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous! I made one at Christmas for a married couple, that are great friends and used a picture from the previous Christmas Eve. I wish I had thought to take a photo of it! Your Grandmother will just love her little surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same
    topics? Thanks a ton!

    Also visit my web site ... 24option

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...