Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wedding: Words Of Wisdom Book

Brandin's wedding programs included a second page which was a place for guests to write advice or "words of wisdom" to pass on to the newlyweds.
I love it this idea but what was she supposed to do with all those loose cards?  Only one of the pages had the guests writing on it.  I quickly offered to make some sort of book for her.  In the end I bound them together using a Zutter Bind-It-All
I have had the Bind-It-All for 2 or 3 years and this is the first time I used it.  I know...ridiculous...but we crafters aren't always logical.  I mean, I've thought about using it a million times... but it seemed so daunting... I alway chickened out. What I learned is that it isn't hard to use at all and I am kicking myself for all the lost opportunities for making a banging book.  Now, I'm am HOOKED.  It was so easy, so much fun, and book looks so professional. 

What is the Bind-It-All?

The pink machine comes with the hole punching mechanism and the coil bending portion.  You purchase the wire coils (there are several sizes and colors available) and you can either purchase or make your own covers and pages.  
The covers and inside pages are packaged like this and come in many variations of size, color and medium.  Covers come in white and brown chipboard, wood, canvas, as well as acrylic. There are multiple sizes as well.   You can check out their website here.  I find that my local Tuesday Mornings often carries Zutter products at ridiculously low prices. 
For my project I used my own chipboard.  I always cut chipboard using another Zutter product, the Zutter Kutter.  It is the only way I can get straight, neat cuts on thicker materials.  After cutting a front and a back, I covered both sides of each with Distress C'oredinations Cardstock.  The edges were inked using Distress Ink in Brushed Corduroy using an Ink Blending Tool.  

  I cut a strip of paper from my scanned copy of the vintage sheet music for Here Comes the Bride (I also used this on the candle redo here).  I gathered a few strips cut from the pages of a vintage French book.  I gathered the paper and adhered it behind the sheet music.  Again, all of the edges were inked with the samehttp://whipperberry.com Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.  

Next I punched 1" scalloped circles from glitter cardstock using a Martha Stewart punch and glued those to the bottom half of the cover using 3M Quick Dry Paper Adhesive. Whenever you are adding a design element such as polka dots be sure to have some of them falling off the page.  This gives you a natural, more pleasing, finished look.  was glued in place with the 3M glue.  

Finally, I added a title using a simple label maker with black tape spelling out "Words" and "of".  The final word "Wisdom" was added using Idea-ology Alpha Parts which are self adhesive.  After affixing them as shown, I painted them using Ranger Gold Paint Dabber.  

The last step is to bind all the pages and both covers as per Bind-It-All directions.  It was so easy and really looks terrific.  

What is your favorite method of binding?  Don't be surprised if I start showcasing lots of binding projects on this blog. I apologize in advance. 

3 comments:

  1. I don't make that many books and probably use my binder once a year: it's some sort of punch and spiral binder I don't remember the name of. I think a book of advice at the wedding is a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a neat idea!! Your book came out beautiful!! Pinned it! Thanks for sharing this project with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!!

    Krys @thet2women.com and www.worshipingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - it's so pretty!

    On behalf of Lisa, Cindy and myself, thanks so much for sharing this and your other fun projects at our "Best Of The Weekend party"! I have pinned all to our party board and pinned this one to another big board too. We hope to see you again when the party kicks off Friday eve at 8PM EST.
    Have a great week!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...