Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vintage-Inspired Notions Printers Tray

*Disclosure: There is a new trend in blogging that advertisers provide products to bloggers to then review.  As much as this post sounds like one of those, it isn't.  The information about French General or Jolee's it is in fact just my opinion.  I purchased all of the products used in this project at Michael's* 



Have you ever visited the beautiful world of French General created by the lovely Kaari Meng?  If you haven't, I highly recommend you fix a cup of tea, find a seat in the sunshine, sit back and relax and click here.  It is pure eye candy.  After you peruse the website head over to her Pinterest boards.  So much to look at but the French General Craft board is a fantastic must-see.

Kaari has created a world that is based on french linens, whimsical jewelry, vintage notions, and a dye-process called Woad.  French General is a blog, a commerce site, a workshop space, and a community.  Kaari hosts workshops at her California studio and a yearly getaway to a chateau in France.  She offers jewelry making workshops and a monthly Botanical Charm Club where she sends you the supplies to make the most charming pieces of jewelry.
Like so many of us, Kaari enjoys different types of crafting.  She has an amazing eye for jewelry, putting together pieces that are pure whimsy….and expensive.  She collects French fabrics and charming vintage notions and trimmings. Through her love of vintage trimmings and her beautiful book Treasured Notions was how I first learned of her.  She wrote the delightful book to show the craft projects and to tell the story of her discoveries in the basement of one of my favorite stores, Tinsel Trading in NYC.  Just looking at the cover you can see that Kaari has an amazing eye for displaying vintage notions.  

Besides Treasured Notions, Kaari has written several other books including French Inspired Jewelry, The French Inspired Home, Handmade Soirees, and Home Sewn.  Each book is full of amazing photographs that are truly inspiring.  

Her first foray into the craft market include Correspondence Cards, Mini Journal Set, and Labels and Stickers as picked here.  Aren't they just the most charming little books? 
Kaari hosts frequent workshops for jewelry making, sewing, and a dying process called Woad.  I fantasize about attending one of her classes but since she is in CA and I am in MI, I don't see it happening anytime soon.  The other hurdle is the cost.  She is expensive.  Of course you get what you pay for so that probably won't stop me if I have the opportunity to attend one of her workshops.  While I continue to fantasize about attending an actual class in CA, it is now possible to bring a little French General to wherever you live.  First, Kaari has written several books (all picked here).  Each one is beautiful book full of inspiration.  The second is through the products from Kaaris partnership with Jolee's.  Jolee's is a company that specializes in dimensional embellishment.  Together they have created the fabulous French General Collection.

The collection includes a variety of paper elements, patterned paper, fabric, and reproduction vintage ephemera.  This is just a sample of what is available in the collection.  The collection is widely available online and at Michael's.
Blue Scallop Tag Pad
a variety of ribbon and metal embellishment
 combinations each on the pretty lady tag
Bleu Fabric Remnants 
Ephemera French Paper Kit
Red Paper Pad 
Adhesive Fabric Sheets 
Shaped Gemstones 
Layered Metal Resin Cameos
French General Gift Pack 2
Glassine Envelopes with Seals 
Alphabet Pack
I couldn't wait to get my hands on some of these products and as thrilled when I went to Michael's for sheet adhesive and found the French General products on sale.  Immediately I envisioned making something for my grandmother to hang in her nursing home room.  I try to give her little items that make her room feel like home.   I   used 3 packages of French General embellishments and a 7 Gypsies Printer's Tray to make a sweet little wall decor project.  I chose the vintage-inspired notions because she is a very talented seamstress.
7 Gypsies Printers Tray
Pink Notions Kit
Red Notions Kit 
Metal Scene






Very easy to do.  The individual notions came with adhesive so I simply had to add adhesive to the chipboard cards on those items I left on the cards.

I linked this up with:

Laters Baby….

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing me to Kaari Meng and her French General line. I certainly do not need any more craft supplies for my stash, but hers do look intriguing. Your grandmother's type drawer turned out beautiful. I am sure she treasures it! Came over from Etcetorize.

    Distressed Donna Down Homw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...