Monday, October 22, 2012

Sticky Embossing Powder and Halloween Tags

This group of tags didn't photograph well but since I used a new product- that I L.O.V.E.- I thought I would post them anyway.  
All three cards started out the exact same way.
If you can believe that.
I started with a #8 Manilla tag.  I stamped the Skull from Apothecary (Stampers Anonymous) using Distress Embossing Ink. Yes, I did this BEFORE I added color.  BACKWARDS.  Oh, well it worked here.   So ink….then instead of REGULAR Embossing Powder, I sprinkled Ranger's NEW Sticky 
Embossing Powder and melted it with my heat gun.  Now….I've tried at least two other versions of sticky embossing powder over the years (one was Stampin' Up and I cannot remember who made the other one).  I say "try" because
 I "tried" them once
 I "tried" to like them
I "tried" to see the value
But they sucked.  
Ranger's Sticky Embossing is …..STICKY.  Yes, folks it works exactly as advertised.  
Once my skull was sticky, I sprinkled on another new product from Ranger, their Distress Stickles Dry Glitter in Rock Candy.  It is Totally Awesome (A Very Potter Musical Reference).   It is the same glitter I used in 12 Tags of 2012 that I colored using alcohol inks.  Dry Glitter is a cross between Glass Glitter and Martha Stewart Fine Glitter (the standard to which I hold all glitters).  It doesn't cut you like glass glitter but it doesn't sparkle anywhere near as much as Martha's… but it isn't intended to.  It also doesn't have the static I-will-stick-to-everything-I-touch-and-more issue either.    If you are a "glitter hater" because you don't like black glitter highlighting your face wrinkles…this is the glitter for you (I say that like I've had black glitter all over my face….my kid's face….my husband's face).

The seam binding was colored using Glimmer Mist (I can't recall the orange color)

Enough about glitter…on to the tags.
Inked with Dried Marigold and Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink.  Very edged tipped with Black Soot Distress.  The polka dots on were punched from black polka dot paper using a 1/2 inch circle punch and glued all over the card.  I like to run small circles like this through a Xyron Sticker Maker but glue would work as well.   The jabbed edge on the bottom of this card is simply a piece of a tag I rubber stamped with one of the stamps from Tim's recent Classic  Favorites with Stampers Anonymous. 
It was inked, cut out, and taped it to the back of the this tag before running a strip of Black Tinsel Twine over the seam. 
The jagged edge on the tag below is cut from a piece of decorative paper that had this border around all 4 sides.  Since I don't scrapbook in 12x12, I like to cut off decorative edges like this and use them on tags and cards. 
This tag is interesting…Instead of using Distress Inks- like I did on the other two cards- I used Distress Stain.  Remember, I added all color AFTER I embossed and glittered  the skull.  It really sank into the inked areas and gave it a creepy weird look.  The Washi Tape is from the Smash Book line and if you are looking for your first washi tape, this is the one. The texture and weight are great- I hate whimpy Washi- and the polka dots go with so many different styles and techniques.  The seam binding was colored using Raven Glitter Mist.   

I still have at least one more project to share for Halloween.  Then I think I might transition to Christmas.  I have been asked to make a teach a class and been commissioned to make something for a gift so I need to get going on holiday projects.   
Laters Baby….

1 comment:

  1. Fab tags, I love the loose rock candy glitter! The sticky embossing powder is awaiting for me tomplay as we speak!! Having seen your makes I cannot wait! Trace. X


I love reading your comments...