I spent a small fortune on candy. We have a really fun neighborhood for trick-or-treating. The subdivision has a clear border and it is just big enough for a nice big candy haul without being overwhelming. Lots of moms dress up to hand out candy (hmmm, hmmm I will be a rainbow fairly thingy). Several families build fires in their little portable outdoor fire pits, round up chairs and sit in their driveway handing out goodies. A few even hand out alcohol to the parents....a treats all around. Because we are so much fun.... lots of people drive over just to trick-or-treat here. Every year someone brings a wagon load of people pulled by a tractor. I must say, it is pretty fun. I have tried to take pictures in the past but it is impossible in one frame to really get a feel for just how jubilant and busy the neighborhood gets.
Lots of trick-or-treaters means I bought a ton of candy (running out is just not an option). If the storm is bad and trick-or-treating is a bust, I will have 1000's of little candies in my house. That is NEVER a good thing. I can't even send them to work with the husband- he flies for FedEx so it would be him and the Captain eating the 1000's of candies. Better him than me I guess but still....
As I worked on the October tag for the 12 Tags of 2013, I was trying to find something to fit in within the frame. I thought I had the small pumpkin Tim used-come to find out, I don't-but as I was going through all my dies I found the Mini Scary Jack-O-Lantern (the face) and the mustache from Mini Mustache and Pointed Finger and I HAD to try it.
I die cut the pumpkin from Grungeboard using Alterations Pumpkin Jack and painted it using Ripe Persimmon Distress Paint. In the photos it looks like the Grungeboard is peeking through the paint but it is actually Black Soot Distress Ink that I used to edge the pumpkin. The face holes are backed with glitter paper to mimic candlelight- who am I kidding, it is just an excuse for adding GLITTER.
For the mustache (also Grungeboard), I applied Glossy Accents and Black Soot Distress Glitter. I attached the mustache using hot glue only in the very center. This allowed me to bend the ends to give it some dimension. The stem was glittered using Glossy Accents, Shabby Shutters and Brushed Corduroy Distress Glitters. I simply used a pinch of glitter at a time, sprinkling them over the area unit it was covered. More hot glue was use to attach the stem to the pumpkin.
It has been a long time since I used a patterned paper for a tag background but this paper is just so gorgeous and lends a vintage vibe to the piece. As usual, I edged the tag with Black Soot Distress Ink before using foam tape to attach Jack. Embellishments were kept to a minimum so as not to distract from the whimsical Jack. I added an Idea-ology Ring Fastener to the tag and attached an Idea-ology Jump Ring and Idea-ology Halloween Muse Token. Idea-olgy Mirrored Stars were glued on with Glossy Accents and I dyed white seam binding using Ripe Persimmon Distress Stain. That's it.
Happy Havaleen. Hope yours is drier than mine looks to be!